Funded by The Duke Endowment, KinCarolina aims to provide targeted, evidence-based supports to kinship caregivers raising children with disabilities in the Midlands region of South Carolina. The program will be housed at Kindred Hearts of South Carolina and will be offered almost entirely virtually, to reach caregivers from all counties of the Midlands. Caregivers enrolled in the KinCarolina intervention will:
- Be paired with trained peer liaisons with lived experience for individual guidance;
- Participate in peer support groups for social-emotional support;
- Receive practical knowledge and tools on their child’s diagnosis, their legal rights, strategies for system navigation, and self-care;
- Engage in family activities promoting positive caregiver-child relationships; and
- Receive financial support during the six-month program.